Aslak (Aslag) was born as Aslak OLSEN LOVEN (the 2 names explained on my post about John LOVEN) on 27 May 1826 in Aurland, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway to Ole ASLAKSEN and Signe ALVSDATTER.
Johannes on 2 Nov 1862, Metta on 5 Jan 1865, and Ole on 14 Mar 1868. They set sail on 12 Apr 1869 on the bark Alma and landed in Quebec on 1 Jun 1869. (The passenger list is at norwayheritage.com.) After settling around Decorah, Iowa, Aslak and Anna had 2 more children Nels Johannes on 15 May 1872 and Hannah on 10 Oct 1875. They stayed living on their farm in Glenwood township, Winneshiek county, Iowa and the Decorah area for the rest of their lives. Aslak died 24 Oct 1900 in Decorah, Winneshiek county, Iowa. while Anna lived for a few more years and died 21 May 1910 in Glenwood township, Winneshiek county, Iowa. I do not have obits for either one of them, but they both do have memorials up on findagrave [Aslak and Anna].
Before his death, Aslak did become a naturalized citizen in 1869. This process also made Anna a citizen as, at that time, wives gained their citizenship through their husbands and underaged daughters through their fathers. I only have Aslak's 2nd papers though.
I have found them on the following censuses:
- 1865 Norwegian Census for Aurland, Sogn og Fjordane.
- 1870 US Census, page 15, Glenwood towsnhip, Winneshiek, Iowa
- 1880 US Census, page 1, Glenwood township, Winneshiek, Iowa
- 1895 IA Census, page 474, Glenwood township, Winneshiek, Iowa
- 1900 US Census, page 1A, Glenwood township, Winneshiek, Iowa
- 1910 US Census, page 9A, Glenwood township, Winneshiek, Iowa (Anna only)