16 October 2017

Pagel Immigration

I just today found the passenger list for my ggg grandma and grandpa Pagel (and my gg grandpa Pagel). They left Germany for England (I don't know the details on this part of their voyage) and, from Liverpool, sailed to New York on the SS Minnesota. They arrived at the port of New York on 15 April 1873. They then went to Wisconsin and settled in Marathon county near Wausau. Their son, my gg grandpa Carl "Henry" PAGEL, eventually went to Minnesota and settled in the area of McLeod, Renville, and Sibley counties. The family is on the second page of the ship's manifest.

Page 1
Page 2, The family is on the bottom half of the page
It shows the parents (Johann "Carl" and Dorothea "Fredericke" PAGEL) as 42 and 38 respectfully with Carl's occupation listed as "farmer." The children are listed in the manifest as John 19 (Johann), Augte 16 (August)1, Fernd? 14 (Carl "Fred")2, Carl 103, Augte 7 (Augusta), and Carl 3 (Carl "Henry").

Here is the link to the first page of the manifest at archives.org. From there, you can page through the rest of the manifest if you choose to.

1 For some reason August is listed as female. Maybe with all the kids the person writing the list got confused. It's also possible that August came over on his own and had a twin sister named Augusta I don't now about that came over with the rest of the family. That would also explain why the occupation is listed as "spinster."
2 I think they were trying to go for Friedrich here.
3 This may be a child I wasn't aware of, or could be Johann "Herman", whom I have as 8 at the time, but either this or the census records I got his age from could be a little off. I only have 1 middle name for him, while all his siblings have 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment