This week's image is page 3B of the 1940 US Census for Glenwood township, Winneshiek county, Iowa. (full image)
John LOVEN is cited as a 77 year old farmer who was born in Norway. He owned his farm, which was valued at $5000.
His wife Mary (first name Bertha) is cited as a 75 year old woman who was born in Norway. Their son Melvin (first name Adolph) is cited as a 50 year old carpenter who did "private work" and had made $864 in wages or salary. Julius is cited as a 42 year old farmer working of his own accord. (I suspect that John & Julius were working together on the family farm.) The entire family was living in the same house in 1935.
The other families on the page are:
- Lines 41-44: Ruth ODDEN (wife of the last person on page 3A) along with 2 sons (Custis and John Raymond) and a daughter Evelyn
- Lines 45-47: Wilheim KESSEL along with his wife Inez and his daughter Margaret
- Lines 52-57: Olaus BERGE along with his wife Sophie, 3 sons (Walter, Norman, and Otto), and a daughter (Stella)
- Lines 58-60: Maria NELSON along with a son (Clarence) and a daughter (Nora)
- Lines 61-64: Conrad VICK along with his wife Grace and 2 sons (Duane and Garg sp?)
- Lines 65-67: Adolph HAGEN along with his wife Myrtle and a son (Dean)
- Lines 68-75: Loren SMITH along with his wife Florence, 2 sons (Norman and Earl), and 4 daughters (Mary, Darlyne, Rita, and Kathryn)
- Lines 76-79: Norman BRYNSAAS sp? along with his wife Mae, a daughter (Nancy), and his father Hans
- Line 80: Lena HANSON (widowed woman)